Cabinet Transformations

I told you that we want to stain the kitchen cabinets dark.  I mentioned to my husband that Home Depot carries a cabinet painting kit called Cabinet Transformations.  The kit includes everything you need to change the color of your cabinets WITHOUT SANDING!  So we made our weekly trip to the local Depot and got our kit. 

Since the kitchen will be such a large project, we decided to try it out on our master bathroom cabinets. They are the same light maple as the kitchen cabinets.



Our bathroom was the perfect place test this kit.  If we didn't like it, no one would see it and we could change it whenever.  If we started with the kitchen and didn't like it, we would have to change it immediately because everyone would see it.

The kit includes deglosser for removing the sheen from the cabinets, bond coat in your choice of color, glaze (optional), and protective top coat.  There are several colors to choose from.  We wanted dark so we chose Chocolate.




So here's how they turned out...





We think they look great.  Like totally different cabinets.  They'll look even better once we paint the walls.  We chose the chocolate color but I think the pictures make it look a little darker than in person.  We also used the glaze which added a wood grain look and some richness instead of just looking like they were painted.  The nickel knobs seem to pop off the dark wood now.



Now we need some motivation to get started on the kitchen.  There's only like 100 cabinets to pull off in addition to the island.  Ok, not exactly that many, but close.  

Also The DIY Showoff is featuring my girl's room today. 


Sharing with
Skip to My Lou * I Heart Naptime * Keeping It Simple Between Naps on the Porch * Be Colorful * The Gunny Sack * Ninth Street Notions * Making the World Cuter * Tough Cookie Mommy * Under the Table and Dreaming * Homemaker on a Dime * Dittle Dattle * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * Marvelously Messy * C.R.A.F.T.  * Mad in Crafts * The DIY Home Sweet Home Project * The Girl Creative * Its So Very Cheri * So Very Creative * Home Savvy A to Z * Debbie Doo's * Embellishing Life * The DIY Showoff * Running With Glitter * Don't Waste Your Homemaking * Creating My Way To Success * Not Just a Housewife * Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy * Home Stories A to Z * A Diamond in the Stuff * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * House of Grace * Coastal Charm * Tip Junkie * Reasons to Skip the Housework * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Chef in Training * Giggles, Glitz & Glam * Type A Decorating * Bella Before and After * Ginger Snap Crafts * Savvy Southern Style * DIY By Design * Clean and Scentsible * Sweet Peas and Bumblebees * Blue Cricket Design * Southern Lovely * Handy Man Crafty Woman * Someday Crafts * A Beach Cottage * Sew Much Ado * Domestically Speaking * Organize and Decorate Everything * Primp * Restore Interiors * Primitive and Proper * The Stuff of Success * Raising 4 Princesses * The Shabby Creek Cottage * Bear Rabbit Bear * House of Hepworths * The 36th Avenue * Somewhat Simple * Momnivore's Dilemma * Saved by Suzy * A Glimpse Inside * No Minimalist Here  * Project Queen * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Sassy Sites * The Shabby Nest * Just a Girl * Miss Mustard Seed * Addicted to Decorating * Simple Home Life * Remodelaholic * Finding Fabulous * Roca and Company * The DIY Showoff * Under the Table and Dreaming * Dittle Dattle * Thrifty Decor Chick * Kojo Designs * Truly Lovely * 504 Main * Lovely Crafty Home * 2805 * Today's Creative Blog *

Comments

  1. LOVE the change! looks great.
    cheryl xox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! We painted our cabinets a dark brown as well! Everyone says they look like brand new cabinets. :) Visiting from Debbie Doo's link party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with the color you chose. looks amazing i bet the kitchen will look fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister told me about this product...and I too want to change up our kitchen cabinets but I figures I would practice first on the kids cabinet. Thanks for this...

    Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/09/welcome-fall-and-you-rock-2.html Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @
    RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation! Love the dark color -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I also stained my bath cabs dark, but this was before they had Cab Transformation. Came out fine too. But your cabinet was nice to begin with, so it looks fab. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Isn't it cool what these new kits can do!?! I've been wanting to do the same and may just try it in my laundry room now that I see yours. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the transformation. It truly made a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzers! What a transformation! How great is it, that you can just grab a kit and go? Nice work. Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the cabinets! I've never heard of those kits before - they certainly came up well!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a difference, you must be so happy with it. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is amazing! The cabinets turned out so great. What a difference. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love the new look. It certainly looks more modern now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! And no staining!

    I wanted to do this, but then I realized I *have* dark cabinets in my bathroom. But you inspired me to update the fixtures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. good job. Very modern looking! I started a link party at my blog and I'd love for you to link this up. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this!! Great job :)

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. andrea, those cabinets look so chic and modern! awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look great! The look like brand new modern cabinets. I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and check out the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Saw Max!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greetings! I'm over from one of the blog parties. You did a wonderful job on the cabinets! I'm going to paint my bathroom cabinet black, so I hope mine comes out as good looking as yours. Great job!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks fantastic!! I am planning to paint my ensuite vanity as well, so I like seeing how it works out for other people first! :) It really looks beautiful!

    evie @ brown paper packages

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great transformation! I need to paint the vanity in my kids' bath, but wasn't sure where to start. That kit sounds really helpful. Do you remember the approximate cost? Thank you so much for linking to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, those look great and you make it sound so easy. I think I might have to get that kit, a couple of my bathrooms need a new look.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! What a difference! Your cabinets turned out great! I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Freshmen Friday party for new bloggers at:

    http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/guest-post/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just did our bathroom cabinets - wish I had seen this first! I was planning on doing the kitchen too but after seeing how long the bathroom took I think I have changed my mind! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark - hope to see you again on Tuesday!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a great update. It looks so much more upscale. Thanks for linking it to Motivated Monday at Becolorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so cool! I had no idea they sold such a product! The results are wonderful!! Thanks for joining last week's What's In The Gunny Sack? link party and I hope to see you again for tomorrow's party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this looks great! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy smokes that turned out awesome!! I'm amazed!
    Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!!
    Can't wait to see the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cabinets turned out amazing. I love them.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so appy to learn about that Home Depot kit, Andrea. It's a beautiful transformation & I have come cabinets that could use a paint job too!

    Thanks for sharing this informative post at Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so appy to learn about that Home Depot kit, Andrea. It's a beautiful transformation & I have come cabinets that could use a paint job too!

    Thanks for sharing this informative post at Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  32. 100% more sophisticated!!! Good job! Would love for you to link up at the newest party on the web - Trash To Treasure Tuesdays on Kammy's Korner!! Thanks!! http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2011/10/trash-to-treasure-tuesday-link-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. You did an outstanding job on your cabinets. Congrats! It gives it a modern look. We have been also playing around with the Cabinet Transformations Kit with good results. Finally Rustoleum produced an all in one kit for the DIY customer.

    Thanks,
    Khaki Pant Painter
    http://khakipantpainting.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there, you are right, they don't look like the same cabinets any more. They look so rich and expensive. What a great job you did. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi there! I love the way all your cabinets turned out and with yours as inspiration I started on mine in the same color. I did my 1/2 bath with full on glaze with no wipe off and they look great but I don't know if I want to do the same in the kitchen. Did you use heavy or light glaze?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, I realize this is an older post.... and I may not be able to get my answer however I think your cabinet’s turned out beautiful. Was curious if this is the same thing you used for your kitchen cabinets that I seen you also repainted?? I am wanting to paint my Bathroom cabinets too, but my dilemma is in both cases they are the cheap pressed wood laminated. Would I have to sand them down, or just apply the paint in the kit you suggested? curious if it only works on wood areas?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can't quite see the difference in colours in the pictures, but I love the idea of his and hers bathroom counters and storage cabinets in the bathroom! Not everyone has that kind of luxury in the bathroom in terms of space to have that kind of thing, but I can imagine how nice it must be to have a "personal" basin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room