Sunburst In The Dining Room


I've been looking for a round mirror for the stenciled wall in the dining room but have had no such luck.  We tried a larger piece of art on that wall but the colors and patterns didn't mesh well with the stencil already there.  I needed something dark and pretty solid to stand out against the stencil.  I decided a sunburst mirror would fit this space nicely. 

I made one for my daughter's room with skewers but knew that one would be too small for this spot.  I wanted it to be thick and dark.  After seeing several versions, I decided to use paint sticks.  They are free and thick enough to make an impact on the wall.  I had some extra in the garage at home since we had started painting other rooms in the house already.  I would always grab a couple extra on each paint trip to Home Depot.  I also bought a 12 inch round beveled mirror from Hobby Lobby.  It was half off candles sale so it came to $4.00.  I had the rest of the supplies at home.

Supplies used:
paint stir sticks
round mirror
stain
gorilla glue
wall hanger

Let's get started.  I stained the front and sides of each stick.


After they were dry, I laid my sticks out to see what pattern I wanted and to get the spacing right.  You can see where I drew some guide lines to help but ended up not using the lines.  I just tried to get the space between them as even as possible.  Once this was done, I started gluing each one on the back of the mirror.  Remember to use tiny dots with gorilla glue.  It expands as it dries.  I marked a line on each stick to make sure they were the same distance from the edge of the mirror.  This row would be in the front so I had to cut the rounded, handle side off.  I just scored with wire cutters and snapped off the end. 


I staggered the back row and glued them on the backs of the front row.  You couldn't see the round edges here so I left them full length. 


After all the sticks were in place, I glued a picture hanger to the back and left overnight to dry.  I sat a box and trash can on top to make sure it bonded tight.

I love how the dark wood contrasts against the stencil.  You can see the wood grain through the stain.






The mirror fills this space nicely.  This project only cost me $4.00, the price of the mirror.  I had the other supplies on hand.

Sunburst mirrors are a huge trend and I love the look of them.  Even if they do go away, I think this one may stay on my wall for a while.  Do you like sunburst mirrors or are they too trendy for you?

 

Sharing with
The Shabby Nest * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * A Glimpse Inside * Delightful Order * 504 Main * At The Picket Fence * The Answer is Chocolate * Finding Fabulous * Happy Hour Projects * Simple Home Life * Simply Sweet Home * Five Days Five Ways * DIY Showoff * It's So Very Cheri * It's Overflowing * I Heart Naptime * Positively Splendid * Tatertots and Jello * Under the Table and Dreaming * Flamingo Toes * Homemaker on a Dime * Ask Anna * Marvelously Messy * Cherished Treasures * Between Naps on the Porch * CRAFT * Craftomaniac * Keeping It Simple * Lines Across * Making the World Cuter * Sew Can Do * Sew Chatty * Skip to My Lou * The Gunny Sack * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * Home Stories A to Z * Project Queen * Today's Creative Blog * Brassy Apple * Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * A Bowl Full of Lemons * The Winthrop Chronicles * Not Just a Housewife * Homework * Ladybug Blessings * New Nostalgia * Reasons to Skip the Housework * Tip Junkie * Chef in Training * Savvy Southern Style * DIY by Design * Domestically Speaking * Ginger Snap Crafts * Southern Lovely * A Little Tipsy * Junk in Their Trunk * Lil Luna * Organize and Decorate Everything * Primp * Someday Crafts * Uncommon * House of Hepworths * Bear Rabbit Bear * A Glimpse Inside * Fireflies and Jellybeans * No Minimalist Here * Somewhat Simple * The 36th Avenue * Remodelaholic * Just Us Four * Tough Cookie Mommy * Homemaker in Heels * How to Nest for Less * Thrifty Decor Chick * Remodelaholic * The DIY Village *

DIY Club

Comments

  1. This looks great and HOW EASY! Please link up to my party @
    http://qualitycheaphome.blogspot.com/2012/05/piece-of-cake-linky-party-6.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good and is perfect for that wall! I do not think that I would have the guts to grab a bunch of paint sticks... I wonder if they sell them in bulk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work the paint desk at Home Depot, and we literally had cases and cases of them. They're not a retailed item, so as long as it's not spring/summer (busiest seasons), we'd give up to 20 away. OR...you could go every few days and just grab a handful.

      Delete
  3. looks good and at my paint store i know the paint man. ang

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing you made that! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! I applaud your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely!!!! I am a new reader, and noticed your post from Chic on a Shoestring party. I made a similar mirror, but it is very light in color, and I really like the dark stain, nice!!!! Creating over at http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com - Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this!! and holy cow love the wall too! super cute! i would love for you to add this to my weekend link party. check it out here:
    http://www.lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2012/05/spread-love-8-harem-royal-giveaway.html
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mirror is the perfect accent piece. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new mirror really turned out great, Andrea!! The contrast of the dark stain against that gorgeous, stenciled wall is amazing. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this. IT is absolutely perfect for your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my link party wrap up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please, Pleas, Pleas, come and share this at my Sunday Round up Party @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/ I love it so much I want to make one.
    I'm also a new follower of your lovely blog. I hope you can come and check out my blog too.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great, I am dying to try this myself. You did a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! I stop by her and guess what? I'm taking a break from making a .... drum roll please ... starburst mirror! And I'm just now fussing with how to affix those shims to the back. So thanks for the help!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. ... and I pinned this to my Homes.com Spring into the Dream contest board too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. years ago there was a sunburst clock in my moms living room this so makes me think of that thanks for sharing

    have a great day and if you find time come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous and cheap!!! Love how this turned out... so clever using paint stirrers. Thanks so much for sharing at Project Queen's Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh I love this! I can't believe it's paint sticks. It turned out so great. I would love for you to share this at my link party
    http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/05/share-it-link-party-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great!! I love the dark color of the sticks showing the wood grain! Perfect on that beautiful stenciled wall!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! So deceptively simple, and so well done! My husband's a professional painter - so, I think I could land some paint sticks. What an awesome idea! Thanks so, so much for doing this project and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is one to copy!!!!!!!! Fabulous - your newest follower would love you to follow me too!!!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great!! I can't believe how inexpensive it was to make!

    Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't get over how great this is! I featured your post on my facebook page this morning.

    http://www.facebook.com/craftykateblog

    ReplyDelete
  24. I featured your mirror yesterday on my blog Finding Fabulous! I LOVE this project, great job!

    Jane
    FF

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been dying to try this. For $4, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Genius, sunburst mirrors are the best. I might make one for my son's new room. Thank you very much for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  27. Smart, smart smart! I would've never thought to use paintsticks! I'm going to try this. Thanks for linking to Handmade Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for linking up your suburst mirror! I've featured your post, so head on over and grab a brag button!
    http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2012/05/tuesday-confessional-features-1.html
    Thanks!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this is great! I might give it a try in our living room. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. One question for you, how come you broke off the rounded ends on the bottom layer of sticks? Did they not fit as well or something?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love DIY sunburst mirrors. Yours is beautiful! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's beautiful - it looks just right for that wall! Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's beautifull. Congratulations for your idea.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love sunburst mirrors and yours looks perfect on the stenciled wall. Thanks for linking to the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party. I'm featuring this today.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is absolutely gorgeous!!! What a brilliant idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Homemaker in Heels! :) I just featured this on my FB and Twitter pages and it will be featured at the blog this weekend :) Have a great week!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey, just wanted to let you know this will be featured tomorrow over at http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. The mirror turned out wonderful!! Thank you for sharing your project at the Open House party.

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOVE this mirror and the color you painted it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your blog!
    Found you on the blog hop.
    Care to follow back?

    http://www.countryliving-productreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Absolutely fabulous tutorial, I'm going to share a sneak peak on Thursday with full links back to you, on my blog: http://NineRed.blogspot.com

    I would LOVE to hear about how you got so many paint stir sticks, I would be so nervous! I'm sure we'd all love a few tips, hehe.

    Thanks again for a well written and photographed tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The mirror AND the stenciled wall are beautiful! I think I may steal both ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautifully done mirror and gorgeous on that wall - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Andrea! found you thru the versatile blog award list on Twenty63 - LOVE LOVE your stenciled wall, not to mention that mirror, so pretty. I'm of the opinion that "rustic" goes with many different styles of decor - there's always a place for it in every home. New follower to you.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is gorgeous! A quick question: About how many sticks did you end up needing to create your mirror?

    ReplyDelete
  45. THis looks great! I made one using liquid nails and it ate through the mirror backing and left black marks on the front of the mirror where it ate it off. Did yours not do that? Maybe I should have used gorilla glue???
    Thanks!
    athomeamy1@windstream.net
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  46. love this! Featuring you on the blog and sharing on FB tomorrow! Thanks so much for linking up with OPC and the DIY village to support Habitat4Humanity. Hope to see back tomorrow night. facebook.com/oneprojectcloser

    ReplyDelete
  47. That is beautiful!! I would love to do something like this on my back porch!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. deeg0629@yahoo.comApril 22, 2016 at 9:30 PM

    Did you use the extra long stir sticks or were they the 12" ones, cause it appears like they are the longer ones and mine are only 12" long.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I just loved the idea with the mirror and the sticks. It so fits the room, around it. Special with the dark sticks around, and the creme colour on the wall behind it. Just <3 it :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves