Thursday, June 21, 2012

DIY West Elm Decorative Spheres

Look who's back with another West Elm knockoff.  Does it seem like I'm a little obsessed with the store?  Maybe a little.  I love their modern edge, bright colors, and super fun accessories.  I've seen these spheres around the web and some more versions in home decor stores.  This calls for a (drumroll)...DIY!  dun dun dun dun!


Here are the ones from West Elm.


To make my sphere I bought two 6 inch embroidery hoops.  There are two pieces to each hoop so I had four pieces total.


I took them apart and put them inside one another until they looked like this.


To keep them together, I matched up the metals parts and screwed them together.


I gave them a coat of red paint for contrast.  I was going to stain them brown but figured I already had a lot of dark wood.  The red pops off the console and looks good next to the blue lamp.




The red looks a little washed out in this picture but doesn't look that way in person.  weird



So there you have my version.  I looked online and they aren't available anymore from West Elm.  There's always more when it's DIY.  Yeah baby!

 

Sharing with
House of Hepworths * Bear Rabbit Bear * A Glimpse Inside * Delightful Order * Fireflies and Jellybeans * Momnivore's Dilemma * No Minimalist Here * The Shabby Creek Cottage * Somewhat Simple * The 36th Avenue * Happy Hour Projects * Sassy Sites * The Shabby Nest * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Five Days Five Ways * It's Overflowing * Classy Clutter * Tatertots and Jello * Making the World Cuter * DIY Showoff * It's So Very Cheri * I Heart Naptime * How to Nest for Less * Chef in Training * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Not Just a Housewife * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Crafty Confessions * Home Stories A to Z * Tip Junkie * The Gunny Sack * DIY by Design * Savvy Southern Style * Clean and Scentsible * Today's Creative Blog * Domestically Speaking * Ginger Snap Crafts * Southern Lovely * House of Hepworths * 2805 * Thrifty Decor Chick * It All Started With Paint * East Coast Creative *

31 comments:

  1. This is awesome! The red next to the blue lamp, on the wood table= perfect. Really great pop of color! and awful clever of you ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creativity. I started checking out your blog because of your paint sample chevron project (I so plan to "borrow" that idea!)--you are so crafty!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So neat, so simple...great.
    http://pam-lifethroughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that! It is so clever! My cats would have that off the table in ten seconds and playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so brilliant that I can hardly stand it! It's one of those 'Why didn't I think of that??' moments, especially since I have been using embroidery hoops for needlework since I was a child.

    Linda, from

    lindapendantedreams.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute...love it! Thanks for linking to the Open House Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea. I am going to have to try this!

    Jennifer @ decorated chaos
    http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! Can't wait to make some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came over from Overflowing because I love spheres and was curious. How clever! I have a ton of hoops, but I bet after people see this, hoops will be disappearing from the thrift shop shelves!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a good idea. Loving the colours. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. VERY COOL, I REALLY LIKE THIS PROJECT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! Would make an awesome light fixture with bigger hoops!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! West Elm is one of my favorite stores.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome DIY knock-off! So modern and cool. Good call on the red paint-- it's a nice pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I never thought to use embroidery hoops before. So clever. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice knock-off! And you could make so many colors or sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terrific knock-off, and such a great color! Very creative of you!

    Thank you so very much to linking to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous. Looks like I know what to do with my Michael's coupon this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these! My 12 year old daughter is wanting to re-do her bedroom with a more "grown-up" style. No more polka dots and pink for her! These would be so cute hanging over her bed! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great idea!! Love the color choice too! Hope you are having a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is tooo cute. I could just slap myself because this past weekend, I was at a thrift store and seen a whole bag of these hoops for 1.99!!!!! I thought about what I could do with them and couldn't think of anything so I put them down. uuuugh. Wished I seen this idea before now. Thanks for sharing! Maybe I will run across some more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. VERY clever. Might have to whip some up myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Andrea,

    You are so clever! I just adore this and am pinning this because I may need to make some for my very own bedroom remodel!

    Thank you so much for sharing at our Crazy for Color link party!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. How creative!!

    Glad you linked this up to our Color party - pinning!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hopped over to pay you a visit and saw this post on your link within! too fun! I never saw the originals from West Elm but it's crazy how similar the pattern I came up with for my light fixture is to them and to your orb!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,
    I saw your sphere's on the East Coast Creative blog and I'm sooooo glad that I found you! I love your simple tutorial and the pictures are so easy to follow! (I love pictures!) ;)
    Now a new follower. Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog for fun and easy stuff!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this look, but not the price. As I was looking at these I thought "embroidery hoops" DUH I have some, I used to embroider, cross stitch. Never thought of it till you planted the DIY in my mind. Thanks.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...