Striped Curtains In The Office


Since the beginning of the office project, I have wanted bold patterns and colors.  The grey wall is the perfect background to add pops of bright colors so it doesn't feel too dark.  This office space is for both of us so we are having to compromise on some things.  The things I like, he doesn't and vice versa.  We've been bouncing ideas off each other until the both of us agree it's a design element we can both live with.

In my mood board for this room, I used black and white striped curtains.  


I wasn't sure how he felt about them.  I knew he wanted a black and white graphic print on the curtains after seeing him look at several at Ikea.  We could never find the right one.  We found a large piece of art at Ikea that has so many colors we could use.  We decided to use blue as the accent color for the room.  I changed the mood board to include blue and white stripe curtains instead.  I mentioned it to him last week and he said why not orange and white curtains.  I was shocked to hear him say such a bright color.  I knew I better get busy before he changed his mind.

I was making my usual Target run when I came across this red and white shower curtain.  The colors were perfect.  The dimensions were off but I could definitely use this for curtains.  I was initially going to paint orange stripes on white curtains but this may be an easier way and the red on these was fun and bright. 


Since the window in the office is small, I didn't need my panels to be very wide.  I cut the shower curtain into thirds.  Two pieces would be the main panels and the extra piece I would use to add the length I needed.
 

I started by making a half inch hem on one side of the extra length piece.  Just fold half an inch in and fold again and attach using stitch witchery like I did, or sew it.
 


Next, I needed to attach the extra length to the main panel.  Put the two ends together facing each other with the two seamed edges together and the two raw edges together. 
 

This is when the two pieces were attached.  You can barely tell there's a break in pieces.  Now that both pieces are connected, make a seam on this unfinished edge.
 

Fold in the bottom twice again and make a seam to complete your panels.
 

I cut the top piece of the shower curtain off that had the slit for rings.  They were laying in the floor and I didn't want them to go to waste.  So instead of buying curtain rings, I used these strips to make my curtains into tabbed backs.


I cut 8 strips (4 for each panel) and attached the top and bottom of them with stitch witchery to the back of the panels.
 

Oh yeah, now we're talking.  I love the pop of color and the added pattern.
 

The red stripes pull the red from the art print from Ikea.
 

 
The tabbed back gives the curtains pleats at the top.


Office plans:
paint the walls
new desk
shelves above the desk 
create a small sitting area
new chair
add a rug
wall art
window treatments

Have you ever used something besides curtains as window treatments?




Sharing with 
Under the Table and Dreaming * DIY Showoff * It's So Very Cheri * It's OverflowingPositively Splendid * Classy Clutter * Homemaker in Heels * Tatertots and Jello * Tough Cookie Mommy * Making the World Cuter * I Heart Naptime * Homemaker on a Dime * Ask Anna * Be Colorful * Brassy Apple * CRAFT * DIY Home Sweet Home * Keeping It Simple * Lines Across * Marvelously Messy * Sew Can Do * Sew Chatty * Skip to My Lou * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * The Gunny Sack * Today's Creative Blog * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Thrifty Decor Chick * Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy * Tip Junkie * Chef in Training * Not Just a Housewife * A Bowl Full of Lemons * How to Nest for Less * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Project Queen * New Nostalgia * DIY by Design * Savvy Southern Style * Clean and Scentsible * Southern Lovely * Ginger Snap Crafts * House of Hepworths * The 36th Avenue * Bear Rabbit Bear * The Shabby Creek Cottage * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * The Shabby Nest * Five Days Five Ways * Sassy Sites * The Answer is Chocolate * Happy Hour Projects * Just Us Four * Lovely Crafty Home * My Romantic Home * Simple Home Life * Classy Clutter * Remodelaholic *

DIY Club

Comments

  1. What a clever idea!! And the final project looks great next to the colorful wall art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out great! Your hubby has good taste! I have seen curtains made out of napkins in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Target shower curtains are awesome. I have yet to use one as a shower curtain, but I have two that are now tablecloths. I have a large square table where a typical square tablecloth is too small but a little trimming off the shower curtain and a new seam or 2 and it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love the red curtains. I've seen people use shower curtains as curtains before but have never tried. I might have to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I'm trying to do something similar in my living room. Now I know to check the bath department!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you via the Monday Mingle. These look cool! Neat idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness terrific idea! I also have been looking for some bold and stiped curtains for my office. I actually picked up some white panels from Target at Goodwill a few weeks ago and started to paint stripes but honestly it has been a pain in the butt type of project. I've had to paint numerous coats (after I stripped it of the painter's tape...argh) and despite 3 coats of a dark paint color they still look blotchy when hung infront of sunlight. Now I will be checking out shower curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I have used full size flat sheets as curtains, when I couldn't find a set that coordinated with my decor! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I love this idea. I'd like to find some curtains for my office, and I'm really loving the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice idea! Great inspiration. On the MIGONIS HOME blog, she used striped shower curtains from West Elm in her bedroom. Really cute. You might want to check it out. I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! Love the red and white with the wall color. Fabulous!

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that they offer a great bold look that will help make the roomm attractive come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/06/family-picnic-and-recipe-for-picnic.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pop of color! I am a new Linky follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to use a shower curtain!

    I'm here visiting from The Gunny Sack

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute, cute, cute! I LOVE Using shower curtains for curtains, so affordable you can switch them out when you get bored or want to change the room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks awesome! I would never have guessed that it was actually a shower curtain! What a great idea, I've never thought of doing that before! Thanks for the tip! Now to go looking for shower curtains!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea with using a shower curtain. I would have never thought of that!!! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look great! This might be just the thing for the boys playroom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea! They look wonderful and no one would ever know they were shower curtains, now following :)

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea to use shower curtains. They turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super idea, and super execution. My ceilings are high so when I wanted the drapes in my master high as well I used full-size matelasse coverlets, bought very inexpensively. I folded over the difference between the length I needed and the length of the coverlets, clipped them with clip curtain rings, and placed the folded-over part at the back. Works beautifully and they're thick enough that, closed, the room is nice and dark for sleep-in days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool!!! Thanks for linking this to Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect! I'm featuring you tomorrow! Xo, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Andrea, these are fabulous! Featuring them tonight at Project Queen's Highlight Party. Thanks so much for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfect solution! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea to brighten up a room. Please share this at my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome idea. The curtains go very well in the room, great colour contrast!

    Lilly
    247 Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love them - such a cool idea! Great tutorial too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love these! Just found you blog and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. They turned out wonderfully! I am your newest follower :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room