Wood Christmas Tree Sign

Good morning friends.  It's a week before Christmas and I'm running like a mad woman trying to get last minute gifts and decorating the house for guests coming over for Christmas dinner.  

I wanted to display something for Christmas that told the real reason we celebrate in our house.  I began to go through my drawers and the garage to see if I had any free supplies.  I came across some leftover paint sticks and had an idea.  I can make some art from it.


I started by gathering my supplies.  I used paint sticks, stain, white paint, and a handmade stencil.


I laid out my sticks to see how I wanted them arranged.
 

After deciding where each stick would go, using wire cutters, I cut each stick to size and sanded the rough edges.
 

On goes the stain.  I even used a small leftover piece and painted it yellow for my star at the top of the tree.
 

After the stain dried, I laid my stencil out.  My stencil was just card stock that I cutout the letters with an exacto knife.
 

I traced the letters from the stencil with pencil onto the sticks.  Using white craft paint, I painted two coats for the letters.  This is the part that took the longest.  I good at staying in the lines, but after a while my hand started cramping from holding that tiny brush.  The stain seemed to soak up some of the paint so it has a weathered look to it.  I just used hot glue to adhere the branch sticks to the stem.
 

In the end, I decided not to use the yellow top.  To me it looks cleaner without it and the yellow may have been too bright.
 

I just propped it up against the centerpiece on the table.
 


I love that there is a real significant piece in our Christmas decor.  Maybe a few more touches around the house and I'm calling it done.  Are you still going like me or are you totally done with all your Christmas chores?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room