Monday, November 4, 2013

DIY Urchin Decor


Do you ever have one of those projects you've been meaning to try but it never seems to happen?  Well this is one of them.  I had be seeing these urchins pop up on walls and on coffee tables across the internet and they looked pretty interesting.  Interesting enough to say that I wanted one.  Well, me being me, I pinned a few and decided I wanted to try my own DIY version one day.




The day finally came when I was patient enough to sit down and get to it.  I had a bunch of foam balls in my stash and I bought a pack of wooden skewers.  I used the smallest ball I had which two and a half inches.  I used a sharp knife to cut the ball in half so my finished piece would sit flat on the table. 



Then the work started.  I started but cutting the skewers into three inch pieces and began inserting them into the ball.  I cut off the pointed side so the flat edge of the skewer would be the one displayed.  I started with an "x" in the center and worked my way around filling in the gaps.

I used some gold spray paint and did a few thin coats.






It's a cute little accent to the table and for minimum effort.  My five year old even wanted to make one.  Again, I am mixing metals using the gold urchin with my silver ball from West Elm.  I like to keep this table simple since I do have a five year old.  Little hands like to play with random objects that aren't toys. 



Sharing with
The Dedicated House * Thrifty Decor Chick * Between Naps on the Porch * Creatively Living * CRAFT * Uncommon Designs * Lines Across * That's What Che Said * Home Coming * Keeping It Simple * Rae Gun Ramblings * Making the World Cuter * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * Marvelously Messy * Sew Can Do * A Bowl Full of Lemons * A Stroll Through Life * Chef in Training * Funky Polka Dot Giraffe * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Hope Studios * Ladybug Blessings * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * New Nostalgia * Sugar Bee Crafts * The Blackberry Vine * The Gunny Sack * The Winthrop Chronicles * Not Just a Housewife * Ginger Snap Crafts * DIY By Design * Handy Man Crafty Woman * Simply Designing * Someday Crafts * The Blissful Bee * 52 Mantels * A Creative Princess * A Glimpse Inside * Embracing Change * Fireflies and Jellybeans * Glamorous, Affordable Life * No Minimalist Here * Reasons to Skip the Housework * The Shabby Nest * 504 MainJust Us Four * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Liz Marie Blog * Remodelaholic * The Grant Life * The Answer is Chocolate * Thirty Handmade Days * Whipperberry * The 36th Avenue * The Idea Room * Under the Table and Dreaming * DIY Showoff * Tatertots and Jello * Be Different Act Normal * Clean and Scentsible * House of Rose * I Heart Organizing *

12 comments:

  1. oooo i love this! I was thinking about doing it, I'll be sure to link back to you if/when i do :)

    Have a great one!
    -court

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Andrea...i'm in love! I have both foam balls & wooden skewers in my craft stash now! I have to try this. I love the versatility of maybe spray painting different colors too :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    xo Kylie @ Absolutely Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great, love it!
    Marie @ Fortledbetter.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so making these tomorrow....well done.
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love it! You did a fabulous job! Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted you to know that I loved this project so much, I featured it on The DIY'ers today! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-diyers-37.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great knockoff! Pinning!
    Corey from TinySidekick

    ReplyDelete
  8. So easy, but elegant...Like it much, thanks for sharing:)I'm your newest follower:)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I think I already have everything to make this...now on my project list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great project, Andrea! I am always eyeing this kind of decor when I go shopping, so thanks for inspiring me to make my own. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...