DIY Harvest Sign

Thanksgiving is coming up next week.  Yeah, next week.  I'm not sure if I'm hosting yet, but I wanted something to display on my entry table.  I like to keep things simple.

 
I came across this sign in the Michael's dollar spot and thought I could do something with it so I bought it.  The saying wasn't fitting for me but paint can change things.


Once I got it home, I gave it a few coats of black paint.


It sat this way for a couple weeks until I could get around to finishing it.  Lately, I've been feeling like I haven't gotten anything around the house accomplished.  Well, this weekend I got tired of seeing it just sitting there.  I wanted a sign done by Thanksgiving so I got myself in gear.

I wanted a word that would really speak for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Harvest is the gathering of crops from the field but I also thought about the law of sowing and reaping.  If we sow continually and generously, we reap a continual and generous harvest.  I chose a font I liked and printed it on regular paper.  To transfer the words onto the sign, I decided to use contact paper.  I have nearly a whole roll in the closet.  I traced the words onto the contact paper.  Make sure you trace on the sticky side.


Now for the cutting.  Using an xacto knife, I cut the word out.  I attempted scissors but my word as to too curvy and small to get into.  Be careful when removing the contact paper from the backing.  You don't want to rip what you just spent time cutting out.  I applied my stencil to the board.  I tried to get out all the bubbles and make sure the edges were pressed tightly.


Before painting the words, I applied a coat of Mod Podge.  If there is any bleeding underneath the letters, it's clear mod podge and not your paint.  It seals the edges and keeps your lines nice and crisp.  Allow the Mod Podge to dry before painting.  Of course I used a blue paint for the words.  I removed the stencil before the paint dried.




Now I have a quick and easy sign to display.  I'm sure I'll be doing more of these seeing how easy it was to do.

 
You're reading DIY Harvest Sign by Andrea, originally posted on Decorating Cents.  If you've enjoyed this post, be sure to follow Andrea on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin, and Hometalk.

Sharing with
Under the Table and Dreaming * DIY Showoff * View From the Fridge * Between Naps on the Porch * Uncommon Designs * Keeping it Simple * Skip to My Lou * A Bowl Full of Lemons * A Stroll Thru Life * Funky Polka Dot Giraffe * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Hope Studios * Ladybug Blessings * Sugar Bee Crafts * The Gunny Sack * The Winthrop Chronicles * Tiny Sidekick * DIY by Design * DIY on the Cheap * Ginger Snap Crafts * Someday Crafts * The Blissful Bee * Simply Designing * Not Just a Housewife *

Comments

  1. Gorgeous! Found you from Keeping It Simple's linky party. You have a new follower. This is such an awesome craft!

    Thanks for the inspiration
    Jen @ Noting Grace
    notinggrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This was such a simple accessory but adds a nice punch of color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute! Love it!

    -Erin @ DIY on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sign looks great! I love the tip about using Modge Podge first to seal the edges so the paint doesn't bleed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sign and blog. Could you please let us know what font you used? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room