Sweet Girl's Room: Changing out the Light

My daughter's room has no overhead light.  Ideally I would like to have overhead lighting installed but that's not gonna happen right now.  None of the secondary bedrooms have overhead lighting but have a plug that connects to the light switch.  Her current source of light is a floor lamp from her previous room.  Can't say I like it too much now.  It was beat up during the move and leans a little now.  So this led me to be creative.

I've been seeing these paper lanterns around and thought it would be the perfect solution.  I love the playfulness it brings to the room.


 
via 

I happened to be in World Market one day and was browsing their lighting section.  They had very nice lamps, shades, and paper lanterns.  And guess what else they had?  Light kits!  And only $9.99 (not $10, there's a difference you know).  I'll take one please.


I ended up getting my paper lantern in Hobby Lobby.  They had a 3 pack set for $4.99 but I had a 40% coupon.  That meant only $2.99 for me. 

 
Now let's hang this thing.  I figured it wouldn't be hard to put it together.  There weren't any instructions but easy to figure out.

1 - Screw light bulb in.
  
2 - Insert down into lantern.
  
3 - Insert metal frame (included) into lantern and attach to clasps on lantern.  Light must go in before attaching metal frame or the bulb won't fit in between frame and lantern.
 

4 - Attach cord to metal frame.
 

5 - The light kit came with hooks to hang the fixture.
 

6 - They simply screw into the ceiling.
  
7 - There are also hooks on the cord that go onto the hooks on the ceiling.
 

8 - Attach the two hooks.
  
9 - Plug it in and tada!!  I found some foam butterfly stickers in the dollar section at Target.  I let my daughter add them on for fun.
 

I sooo love it. Much better than before.


Linking up with
House of Hepworths * The Shabby Creek Cottage * Thrifty Decor Chick * Home Stories A to Z * Sassy Sites * Under the Table and Dreaming * Just a Girl * The DIY Showoff * Dittle Dattle * Lines Across my Face * Coastal Charm * Bear Rabbit Bear * Rhinestone Beagle * Truly Lovely * The Girl Creative * Crafty Confessions * Strictly Homemade * Someday Crafts * Saved by Suzy * Mad in Crafts *


DIY Club

Comments

  1. I love these lights but never really knew how to hang them. Thanks for the tutorial. The little butterflies totally make the whole thing too! I would love it if you would stop by and share at the link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    :)Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/cure-for-common-monday-3-craft-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting via Dittle Dattle's Amaze Me Monday.... super cute light! I love the extra fun the butterflies add! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these lights! I've never hung them before but you make it look so easy!


    I'd love for you to stop by on Thursday for our first "Crafts for Under Twenty-Somethings"- a blog hop specifically designed for kids and teens crafts and projects! Your post would be perfect! Hope to see you there. bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little lantern!! Love the butterflies for an added bit of cute! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! How fun! I hope you will link this up at my Delights Me party at Doodles & Doilies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nifty idea! Saw you on linky party, now google following you. Please pop by, Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! And I love how you had your daughter help you personalize it with the butterflies. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute light! I am redoing my daughter's room right now so thanks for the inspiration!

    If you are interested, I started a new link party on my site today! I would love to have you stop over and join!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking it's the cutest ! Your daughter did a great job with the butterfly's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was great! A total make over in the girls room. Love the new color. Also what you did if the light. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun way to add some light and whimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have reviewed all of your transformation pictures and I think I am more than inspired to go for it!...my only concern is that I have 2 girls in the same room and they are 2 and 3, they have different interests...one likes Princess Tiana and the other likes baby dolls...So I am kind of stuck on how to bring the two together...plus I have butterfly accents for the room...no bedding as of yet!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room