Color Block Curtains

From the beginning, I wanted to use white curtains in the nursery.  To me, white curtains are clean and just keep the room looking fresh.  But I had the urge to add more color to them.  


I had been searching for a cool fabric to make curtains but I wasn't ready to fork out big bucks for it.  I also thought about using ribbon to add a border around the inside edges like this but I ended up using the ribbon on the light.  


Another ribbon trim idea was this one.  It reminds me of the curtains I did in my daughter's room but on the bottom instead of the top.


Then it hit me, I can make a big colorful impact with orange fabric!  Since I didn't remember seeing any plain orange fabric in the fabric stores, the next best thing was a sheet.  Yes, a bed sheet.  I went into Walmart and bought a twin flat sheet for $4 and change.  A twin sheet is 66 inches wide by 96 inches long.  That's a lot of fabric for so little money.


After my white curtains were hemmed and hung, I had to figure out how much of a bottom stripe I wanted.  I decided my stripe would start somewhere underneath the window sill.  So a 19 inch stripe would be good.  I cut a 20 inch wide by 57.5 inch long piece of fabric.  The curtains are 57 inches wide so I wanted room to fold and make a hem on each side.  I used the already hemmed sides of the sheet along the top and down one side.


I made a mark at 19 inches along the bottom on my curtain so I knew where to attach the fabric.  Using stitch witchery, I attached the fabric along the top and one side, each already hemmed.  The other side needed to be folded in half an inch and the bottom an inch.  It helps to iron and fold before attaching with stitch witchery. 

After each panel is done, stand back and admire your work!  The pop of color is just what I wanted.






 

Sharing with
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Five Days Five Ways * The Shabby NestHappy Hour Projects * Just Us Four * Liz Marie Blog * One Artsy Mama * Simply Designing * Simply Sweet Home * The Answer is Chocolate * The Grant Life * Truly Lovely * Tatertots and Jello * It's Overflowing * Serenity You * Classy Clutter * DIY Showoff * I Heart Naptime * It's So Very Cheri * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Lolly Jane * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * New Nostalgia * Not Just a Housewife * Sugar Bee Crafts * Sweet Little Gals * The Winthrop Chronicles * Today's Creative Blog * Ginger Snap Crafts * Clean and Scentsible * Savvy Southern Style * DIY by Design * Southern Lovely * Handy Man Crafty Woman * Lil Luna * Primp * Sew Much Ado * The Thrifty Home * Someday Crafts * House of Hepworths * Bear Rabbit Bear * A Glimpse Inside * Fireflies and Jellybeans * The 36th Avenue * The Gunny Sack * Thrifty Decor Chick * Remodelaholic *

Comments

  1. I kid you not, I have been googling "color block curtains" all morning looking for something exactly like this. I have black curtains that I want to add a pop of color at the bottom. Thanks! PS I found you via House of Rose's Inspire Me link party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks fantastic! I love the pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color scheme! That is so smart of you to "color block" that way, too. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I love these!! so pretty!

    I would love it if you could share this on my link party - Serenity Saturday - that goes live tomorrow morning

    Natasha @ www.serenityyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable! It gives you just the right amount of pop of color for the room. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the orange and white look perfect with the striped wall! (Great idea using the sheet!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your choice of color! It goes well with white, and you didn’t need to have it in massive amount to make the color pop. Adding it on to the bottom of the white curtain is enough, and the color itself already is noticeable to make the curtain simply astounding. Can’t wait for another DIY project from you!

    Roxie Tenner

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look amazing! I love your idea about using a sheet, you're right, that's a lot of fabric for not so much money! The orange makes them pop!
    Selene @ restorationbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love making things with sheets :o) sometimes its the cheapest way to get a large piece of fabric!!! Love the orange. I stopped over from Ginger Snap Crafts... would love to have you come check out my link party..http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/03/st-pattys-pasta-and-tasteful-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Great find at $4, too.
    I found you today at Handy Man Crafty Woman's Linky. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent DIY project! A bargain that adds a designer touch! Looks great. I pinned it to my DIY board. I would also like to invite you to share your project(s) at my party the Rock N Share.Blessings, D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pop of color! I have some sheer panels in my living room and have wondered if sewing fabric at the bottom would have the same look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it ! And so cheap, well done !

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so clever! I wish I could sew. Maybe that iron on fabric tape???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room