Framing The Bathroom Mirrors


I wanted the bathroom mirrors framed.  I didn't really like how they floated on the wall.  Here's how we did it.


Supplies used:
Miter box and saw
four 7' pieces of fiber board casing
paint
liquid nails
caulk

We started by choosing the frame material we wanted.  Lowes has several options.  We chose to go with a fiberboard since it was lightweight and probably wouldn't warp over time due to the moisture in the bathroom.  We also chose the darker, wood-like board since we were painting the frame dark anyway to match the painted vanities.  


Our bathroom mirrors are 42" tall and 35.5" wide.  Our frame would sit right on top so these are the measurements we wanted the outside of the frames to be.  After choosing the frame material, we went over the cutting desk and found out their cutting machine only makes straight cuts, not 45 degree angles.  Um...how can that be?  What if I don't have a saw at home?  The associate pointed in us the direction of the miter boxes.  We grabbed one for this project and who knows what other projects I can come up with using this thing.  The associate also tried to talk us into buying a power saw which I was all for, but hubby wasn't going for it. 

First, measure and cut your boards according to the lengths needed.


Make sure the outside of the board is the length you need, not the inside.  We cut four boards at 42" and four boards at 35.5".


We chose to use the same paint kit we used on the cabinets so both pieces would match.  Turn the boards over to the back and paint the top half of the board.  The top will be reflected in the mirror and you want it to be finished as well.


After the back is dry, paint the front.


Once they are dry, it's time to install.  Lay your boards out in the layout you need.  One by one using the liquid nails, adhere your boards to the mirror.  We started with the bottom piece.  This way we knew it was level and the other boards would rest on this one.  Apply the liquid nails near the middle and bottom of the board in a zigzag.  You don't want to get close to the top where it reflects in the mirror because you will see it and you don't want any oozing out there.  You have to work pretty fast here because the liquid nails sets quickly.  After the boards are set, you may find that the corners don't square up perfectly.  Use caulk to fill in the gaps and touch up the paint.







How about a before?


The frames give a more finished look to the space.  What do you think?

Master Bathroom to do list:
Paint walls
Paint cabinets
Frame mirrors
Change light fixtures
Install tile above tub
Window treatment
Art above tub

 

Sharing with
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Chef in Training * Funky Polka Dot Giraffe * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Ladybug Blessings * New Nostalgia * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen * Strictly Homemade * Sugar Bee Crafts * The Blackberry Vine * Tip Junkie * Today's Creative Blog * Type A Decorating * Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy * Southern Lovely * Blue Cricket Design * Domestically Speaking * Ginger Snap Crafts * Handy Man Crafty Woman * Junk in Their Trunk * Lil Luna * Organize and Decorate Everything * Restore Interiors * Savvy Southern Style * Seven Thirty Three * Sew Much Ado * Sew Woodsy * Someday Crafts * DIY by Design * Clean and Scentsible * House of Hepworths * Bear Rabbit Bear * Delightful Order * A Glimpse Inside * Crafty Scrappy Happy * Fireflies and Jellybeans * No Minimalist Here * Somewhat Simple * The 36th Avenue * The Shabby Creek Cottage * Happy Hour Projects * 2805 * Sassy Sites * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * The Shabby Nest * Addicted to Decorating * Thrifty Inspirations * Remodelaholic * Under the Table and Dreaming * Making The World Cuter * The DIY Showoff * It's Overflowing * Positively Splendid * Tatertots and Jello * Goings On In Texas * Lines Across * Tough Cookie Mommy * Home Savvy A to Z * Homemaker on a Dime * I Heart Naptime * Be Colorful * Between Naps on the Porch * CRAFT * Keeping It Simple * Marvelously Messy * Mad in Crafts * Skip to My Lou * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * DIY Home Sweet Home * Evolution of Style * Thrifty Decor Chick * Classy Clutter *


DIY Club

Comments

  1. These turned out fantastic! I've been trying to convince my parents to let me try this out at their house! :) I'll use your blog as a method to do so...lol. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out quite nice. Now you can scratch that off the to-do-list =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all the posts. They look fabulous. And the stain ties in nicely with the wall paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great designing of this bathroom. You did a nice job! :)

    makati condominiums

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 2 bathroom mirrors that are each crying out for a frame! Thanks for the inspiration! I am totally going to have to make this a weekend project!
    - Hope : )
    http://hopefuloneblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it all!!! I am also loving your blog! Adding you to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to do this to my mirrors! You have such a cute blue bathroom too, that paint is so pretty. I'm a new follower and would love to have you stop by my brand new blog and follow too, if you'd like. My first link party/give-away is running now through Saturday. I hope you'll come and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hubby did this to ours and I love the customization of it! Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just shared this my sis-in-law...as we just had this conversation about framing her bathroom mirrors. :)
    I would love for you to share this with my "Unveil Your Genius" link party.
    http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/03/unveil-your-genius-link-party_22.html

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're working on our bathroom too! My husband is going to make a door with a mirror for a our medicine cabinet. I suggested he do it with molding like you did, but he wants to do it the hard way!!!! (me rolling my eye)
    Yours turned out great! I'd never guess it was a DIY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good! New follower from Monday Mingle! http://acostaeveli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't it make you wonder why builders don't do this automatically! The little things make such a difference! Your mirrors look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't this such a no brainer? I love how you did the frames and I love your bathroom wall color!! I think this is such an easy upgrade and it's made a huge difference!

    Thanks for linking up at my Thrifty Under {$50} Friday Party! Come back next week to party some more!

    XOXO,
    Rachel @ ThriftyInspirations.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job. I will be featuring it tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great look and I am very impressed that you did this. The hubs and I are mitering hacks. :D Yours looks great. Thanks for sharing on this week's BeColorful party.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Featuring your GREAT mirror update today!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  17. My bathroom mirror could use framing as well. Love the way yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great! I want to do this...but I have an oval mirror...a little more complicated. This looks fabulous in your bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful job, Andrea! So much better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so amazed at how framing a builder grade mirror adds such a custom look. Well done (which reminds me - I have some mirrors that need attention!). Thanks for linking up to my Room Evolution party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The finished is were i fell in love. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The color you chose for the walls makes that room I feel, along with the simplicity of the mirror not being too large, not too small. Well done..

    -Irwin Zinkin

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the color and the style that you have chosen..its so simple and bright..i love the idea that you have put some frames in each side of your mirror..wonderful idea..

    sydney mirrors

    ReplyDelete

  24. Thank you so much for this idea.
    I did this just this weekend to three of my mirrors.
    Once you trim the tiles off of the mesh it goes super quick.
    I used the smaller glass tiles for a mosaic look and am absoutly in love with the end product.
    It transforms the look of my bathrooms.
    Thank you,
    thank you.
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey the mirror looks great! I recently got a good quality framed mirror from http://www.worldtohome.com/.I agree that the framed mirror adds more to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room