Girl's Bathroom Makeover

Back over Thanksgiving break, I promised my daughter I would begin work on her bathroom after Christmas.  It was one of the last rooms left to be painted.  But mind you, her room was one of the first ones finished.  I was determined to make this happen for her even though I knew it would be tight because I would have both kids over the Christmas break.  My goal was to start to finish in two days.  I'm superwoman so I can do this!  Or so I think I'm superwoman sometimes.

Here is the room before.  She already had the shower curtain and towels.  I chose this shower curtain because it used the sames colors from her bedroom.  Excuse the weird lighting.  There's no window and the overhead light is all there is.




Yes, her poor bathroom has been like this for over two years.  At least, she had towels to clean herself up with right?


I had plenty of the Dutch Boy Pale Blue Springs paint left over from the hall bathroom, which is almost complete, so I used it.  I was curious how the same paint color would look in her bathroom since it had a different color palette.

I started on a Tuesday morning right after I put my son down for a nap.  I have to work fast with him because he takes short naps and then wakes up like he's slept all afternoon.  I prepped the room by taping and patching holes I had previously made.  I like to tape off the ceiling and trim since I don't really have a steady hand and would end up with paint all over the ceiling.  I realize it would save me so much time to not have to do this, but I like the clean, crisp lines the tape leaves.

Are you ready for the outcome?


The light blue becomes a pretty backdrop for the bold colors in the shower curtain and green rug.  It's calm yet so fun at the same time.  You should have seen her face when she walked in the room and saw everything put back together.  It was totally worth the work.



The art is just prints from art.com I printed from the computer like her gallery wall.  They are flowers with the words flourish, abound, and blossom.  I thought the words were so appropriate for my daughter.  Plus the colors go perfect with the shower curtain.


Early on I liked the idea of hooks instead of a towel bar.  She can hang the towel here better.  Before she had a bar but she couldn't quite reach around it so the towel always ended up on the floor.  I picked this one up at Target and it has larger nickel hooks that she could use for more than towels.
 

I knew I wanted the mirror framed so that happened on Thursday morning.  It was supposed to happen on Wednesday but I had a situation.  I bundled up the kids and went into Lowes Wednesday morning, picked out my molding, and headed home.  Everything was all laid out in the garage.  I had cut all my corners and ready for paint.  One piece was a little bowed,  so me being me, I tried to bend it just a little on my leg to make it straight.  Bad idea.  It snapped in half!  Talk about mad.  I was not about to go back out so it had to wait until the next morning when I could muster up the strength to take them into Lowes again.  

I used the same method when we framed the master bathroom mirrors.  The mirror has so much presence now and doesn't fade into the wall.  I made the decision to go white instead of a wood tone.  The color is Behr Decorator White.




A also spray painted this light in nickel just like the hall bathroom light.  We will replace all bathroom lights at the same time so this is temporary.
 

I love the color in this space.  It makes a dramatic difference.  In only two working days, I transformed this bathroom into something she loves as well.  So much better than what she had before.





Another room to check off my list.



Sharing with
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * The Shabby Nest * 504 Main * Common Ground * Finding Fabulous * House of Rose * Liz Marie Blog * Love of Family and Home * Blissfully Ever After * Just Us Four * Remodelaholic * The Answer is Chocolate * Simply Sweet Home * The Grant Life * WhipperberryClassy Clutter * Under the Table and Dreaming * DIY Showoff * Between Naps on the Porch * CRAFT * DIY Home Sweet Home * Homecoming * Keeping It Simple * Skip To My Lou * The Dedicated House * A Bowl Full of Lemons * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Crafty Confessions * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * The Gunny Sack * The Winthrop Chronicles * New Nostalgia * Clean and Scentsible * My Love for Words * Ginger Snap Crafts * Simply Designing * The Dedicated House * DIY by Design * Thrifty Decor Chick * Tip Junkie * Remodelaholic *

Comments

  1. Love the paint color you chose Andrea! I'm planning on working on my boy's bathroom as well, it's been 3 years on hold and hopefully, 2014 is the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That paint color looks perfect. And I love those art prints, I need to go to that website for some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the bathroom looks great!

    what a difference
    a coat of make
    and a few accessories can make

    Fridays Unfolded is back
    for 2014 and I would love for you
    to stop by and share!

    Alison
    Nancherrow (formerly Stuff and Nonsense)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great makeover!! I JUST posted on our bathroom update. It was great seeing yours!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bathroom looks great after you decor. Gave me a lot of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to post a comment TWICE from the ipad, anyhoo, for a new momma with two babes in two, You rocked it, inspired me to get off my bottom, #noexcuses

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! It is amazing what a new wall color can do for a room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing what a lick of paint can do! So bright and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE the look of your bathroom now. It's so gorgeous. You should be proud of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to thank you for sharing your bathroom makeover! It is really beautiful, Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly beautiful! Love everything – from your new bathroom,You did an amazing job. Totally inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room