Removing Wax From Candles


I have this habit of buying these cute little candles every time I go into Ikea.  They're cheap and they smell good.


I had been keeping the used ones and not throwing them away.  They were piling up in a drawer in the kitchen.  I knew there would be a use for them one day.  I began searching for ways to remove the remaining wax and re-use them.  I found that this way works best.


1. Boil a pot of water.  Pour the water into the candles.  Be very careful.  I sat a plate underneath so I wouldn't have water all over the counter.  The wax will start to melt and float to the top.


2.  Let them sit for a while to give the wax a chance to harden.  I left mine overnight simply because I started doing other things.  The wax will become a hard layer on top. 


3. Take a knife and pull the layer out.  If the wick is stuck at the bottom, use the knife to pop it up.


4. Pour the water out.  NOT DOWN THE DRAIN!  It has wax in it.  I poured mine out in the yard.  Better there than the pipes right?  Give them a wash and you've got yourself some clean glass containers to do whatever you wish.


I'm using them in the hall bathroom to hold personal items.



Don't you love re-using things?  I've got a whole drawer of leftover candles waiting to be cleaned and used.

 

Sharing with
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * The Answer is Chocolate * Truly Lovely * 504 Main * The Shabby Nest * One Project Closer * Atkinson Drive * Diana Rambles * Just Us Four * Happy Hour Projects * Liz Marie Blog * Remodelaholic * Lovely Crafty Home * Simply Sweet Home * The Grant Life * Thirty Handmade Days * DIY Showoff * Flamingo Toes * Under the Table and Dreaming * Homemaker on a Dime * It's So Very Cheri * Be Colorful * Between Naps on the Porch * CRAFT * Lines Across * Uncommon Designs * That's What Che Said * Creatively Living * Alderberry Hill * Keeping It Simple * Making The World Cuter * Thrifty Decor Chick * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * The Dedicated House * Skip To My Lou * The Gunny Sack * Home Stories A to Z * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Clean and Scentsible * DIY by Design * Ginger Snap Crafts * Life With The Crust Cut Off * Savvy Southern Style * Sew Much Ado * The Blissful Bee * Homecoming * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Chef in Training * Funky Polka Dot Giraffe * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Not Just a Housewife * The Winthrop Chronicles * The Gunny Sack * The Trendy Treehouse * 52 Mantels * It Happens In A Blink * Fireflies and Jellybeans * No Minimalist Here * Reasons to Skip The Housework * The 36th Avenue * House of Rose * Be Different Act Normal * Not Just a Housewife *

Comments

  1. Great tip! I always mean to save those jars and then get frustrated trying to get them clean. I will keep this in mind next time.

    BTW I love you backsplash, looks a lot like the one I have in my kitchen on with calmer colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started doing this about a year ago, but I think your method is better than mine. I will try it your way next time. To think of all those great glass jars that I have thrown out over the years that could have been saved! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, easier than I thought! I have saved a bunch too and really want to use them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of these right now sitting in my freezer to try that method! I might do this if that doesn't work (obviously after they warm up to at least room temperature though!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip Andrea! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute use for them! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/10/diyers-32-and-marathon-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! What a fabulous tip! Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is like a million times easier than I thought it would be. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great trick! I'm pinning to my Tips and Tricks board. Thanks for sharing it at the Pinworthy Project Party

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tip! I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I got some candles at a yard sale that are in very decorative holders, and I just wasn't sure how to get the old wax out. Well, there ya go! :) Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up over at the Lovely Lades link party this week!
    -Molly from Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tip!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. seriously, is it really that easy. bc i have made huge messes trying to do this! any tips for removing wax from fabric??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iron the fabric with a piece of paper towel between the fabric and the iron. Not too high to burn the paper. The paper towel will soak up the wax.

      Delete
  14. Great tip. I usually put my candlesticks in the freezer and then it pops off....but this sounds like a plan, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room