DIY Engineering Print


As you may know I'm in the middle of re-decorating my son's big boy room.  You may remember this wall from the nursery.


Like I said before, one of the shelves came tumbling down when he was reaching for a book on the top shelf but pulling on a bottom shelf.  I knew this wasn't an ideal solution for books so I took it all down.  This wall become blank and needed something else in place of the shelves.  My son inherited the Trofast storage bin from his sister.  That still left a large blank space over it.  I started thinking maybe a map would be good for this space but since I was going for an industrial, rustic feel in his new room, I thought a blue print would be better.  I searched online for a car blue print since I was adding a loose cars theme.  I found one of an Audi R8.  The only thing is, it was in black and white.  I wanted it in blue and white to go with the colors in his room.  I loaded it into Photoshop and had my husband show me how to change the colors.  After I was done, it was perfect.

I wanted to try my hand at the engineering prints from Staples.  I loaded it online and had it printed in a 24x36.  Let me tell you, I am impressed with how well it turned out.  I read some other reviews saying it can be grainy or blurry but it was perfect.  A big tip here is make sure your original photo has a high resolution.  When I uploaded my picture, it wasn't exactly 24x36 and was a little short and would have had some white for me to trim off.  When I picked up my print, it fit the whole sheet and I asked about it.  The employee had resized it so the picture would fit the whole sheet of paper.  Doing that caused my picture to stretch a little lengthwise but I'm cool with it.

To hang it on the wall, I used this tutorial form Young House Love to make a wooden frame.



Doesn't it go so perfect in this spot?  The wood frame and blue print bring in the industrial elements and the blue background goes with the rest of the colors in the room.



I love how this project turned out.  My son loves it too.

To follow along with this room:
Big Boy Room Plans
Stained Wood Crates

 
You're reading DIY Engineering Print by Andrea, originally posted on Decorating Cents.  If you've enjoyed this post, be sure to follow Andrea on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin, and Hometalk.

Sharing with
Creating My Way To Success * Keeping it Simple * Skip to My Lou * DIY Showoff * View From the Fridge * I Should be Mopping the Floor * That's What Che Said * Between Naps on the Porch * DIY by Design * Ginger Snap Crafts * Savvy Southern Style * Simply Designing * The Blissful Bee * The Thrifty Home * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Just Us Four * Simply Sweet Home * The Answer is Chocolate * Elizabeth & Co * Thrifty Decor Chick *

Comments

  1. I love this idea!! I have my 3 year old little guy's room done in a variety of vehicles and this would be great in there!! Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and this could work in some even bigger boys rooms aka the grown up kind! Featuring when my party opens up tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts and comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Wall Mounted TV and Hiding The Cords

Installing Ikea Lack Shelves

Sunburst In The Dining Room